Saturday, October 26, 2013

Have you ever done this?

If you have already read this article you can just scoll down to the link for the video watch


If you have not read this article you must read it first or the link will not work to the video watch
Just to be clear this isn't a my picture> To my knowledge > I have never been a woman. 
Hey Folks, 
Something a little different to start the weekend The video watch list will be coming either later today or first thing tomorrow. 

 Have you ever had a friend, co worker, family member or stranger you met at a party or watched on TV, give you a hot stock tip? Maybe you received one of those fancy newsletters in the mail with this extremely compelling case as to why you should buy this new undiscovered hidden gem in this MUITI-BILLION dollar industry that could potentially be the next Google, Boeing, Wal Mart or Apple.   

Then you go out and buy the stock,stuff it away in your portfolio and hope that one day you will wake up and the person or newsletter that gave you that hot tip will be right and you wake up one day filthy rich.

 I am not going to lie to you>>I have done that!

  With my "investing"I put an amazing amount of faith in complete strangers or friends and family when it came to my investment decisions. In all fairness > Not EVERY  tip ended in total disaster. However, I would say the win loss ratio was clearly one sided and it was not a pleasant experience. It was, what many people would call, learning my lesson the hard way or the school of hard knocks. Fortunately for me, I learned this lesson very early on, if I was going to invest in stocks I needed to invest as much time learning about the company and the investment as I would researching a new car, new home or nowadays a new smartphone. 

It has always amazed me how people (myself included) are so willing to part with their hard earned dollars and plunk them into an "investment" they know nothing about. We just assume that our friend , co worker , analyst, family member, host of a show on TV about investing, or some writer for some stock promoting firm knows what they are talking about and if they are willing to risk their money in it.  Then heck , why shouldn't I ?   We say all kinds of things to ourselves to make us feel more confident about our decision to risk our money. Any of these sound familiar?
 I don't want to miss out on this great opportunity its worth the risk!

So and So has done really well he/she is really smart I can trust their judgement. 

They are the "professionals" the "experts" surely they would't be touting a dog of an investment> I mean their REPUTATION is at stake! Everything I read or everything they said made total sense.

Its better than just sitting in the bank collecting barely any interest.

 What is the worst that can happen? 

Folks, let me tell you what can happen, you could wake up one morning and lose every dime. Investing is a gamble, especially if you don't do your own due diligence. Even then, there is no guarantee that you will be right. You will however, be more educated, and you will be more aware of the potential risks. You will be able weigh the risk versus reward which will help you make the right choice. Odds are if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. 

Ask yourself this

How hidden of a gem or opportunity could it be if they are doing a mass mailer campaign to 200,000 people that were on same mailing list as you. I mean you don't really think that you were the only person that got that mailer do you? 

 If there are a million people watching the same show and you are all seeing the same stocks being touted. Wouldn't it make sense that initially there is going to be a pop in the price or a drop if it was in the spotlight from a negative point of view.

Keep in mind that all these things we see and read > most of them are only opinions. or possibilities of outcomes> anytime you see or hear the words" this could, has potential to, might, possibly, likely, probably, capable of,  surrounded by a bunch of facts about an industry or product. Place your emphasis on those words. 

Then say to yourself> I might win the lottery. I could be struck by lightening. I have potential to be the next President of these United States. Its very possible I could win the next Miss America beauty pageant.  I am capable of solving the mystery of Bigfoot and proving that he does exist. 

With the exception of me winning the next Miss America beauty pageant and of course Bigfoot. You can see how ridiculous those statements are, there is a chance of course. However, the odds are certainly stacked against me. 

My point is this, which also happens to be one of my most important rules when trading and investing. 

I trade stocks all day long that I know literally nothing about. I see Twitter/ Stocktwit posts from people I do not know about stocks or companies I never heard of and after I look at a chart and check for a few other things I buy and sell those stocks.  I may see a press release or unusual activity in a stock symbol from my watch lists and trade off the news or momentum.

Trading is very different from investing I never hold those shares as an investment unless I do my homework on the company. There is one caveat to that statement however. If my day trade is so profitable that I can comfortably hold what I call "Lotto shares" overnight or even for several weeks or months without being concerned that if those shares went to zero I would still be at break even or profitable on that trade. 

If I am looking to "invest" in, or swing a stock  its a whole different ball game. I trust no one more than myself when it comes to my investing. Ultimately no one cares more about my money than I do and I have learned the hard way to make sure I take the time to really understand a company, its management, products or service , balance sheet, share float, insider ownership, cash balance, competitors, potential pitfalls and probably about 20 other things that aren't coming to my mind right at the moment. 

Trading is a skill, its an art at times and its not something you can just sit down and do. You can't just follow someone and hope to make money that way. You need to invest in yourself and get an education in trading. I am not going to tell you where you need to get that education. I can tell you that if you don't odds are the school of hard knocks will cost you far more than it would have cost if you just took a comprehensive course on the mechanics of trading. You need to be selective and have a sense of what type of trader you are or aspire to be. There are a ton of scams out there and there are a ton of ridiculously priced options out there. Don't fall prey to the high pressure sell tactics some of these places use and make sure you are comfortable with the course you choose. Look at it like you just got a bunch of scholarships from a ton of colleges and you need to decide which one suits you best.  Investing will be part of your life throughout your entire life. It makes sense to learn as much as you can about it.

The goal is to have your money making you money regardless of what you do for a living. 

You owe it to yourself to do this!!  

OKAY you caught me > FYI the link does work whether you read the article or not > I just crack myself up sometimes

This weeks video watch list with stockks to watch and my take on the markets

http://www.screencast.com/t/i9W7WQ2J


Stocks highlighted in the video 

$ISLE $GALT, $MDGN, $FXEN, $ALSK $ARAY, $EXTR, $KERX, $OPXA, $SGOC, $ZGNX $NES, $BC,$NSPH, $CTIC, $GURE, $ALKS, $JBLU, $MS

***** Brain mouth malfunction >> In my key statistics assessment on $GALT I said they have 510 million on their balance sheet they clearly only have 5.10 million My brain knew what it said but my mouth said otherwise ************** 


“Carry overs” are stocks that I have featured in prior videos, have on my alert list or tagged on my morning mover lists that still have a potential setup working or developing on the chart that may be actionable. They are still on my radar and I am either already in with a swing or I am looking to enter on a breakout. I am also looking for the setup to breakdown at which point it will discard it from my hot watch list. If I am already in it with a swing I am looking for a place to scale out or exit the trade and on rare occasions I may be adding to my position. Typically I like to sell into strength
$TASR, $ARWR,$AUDC, $AXAS, $BCOV, $BONE, $WYY , $CETV, $CLNT,$CYCC, $CYTK, $DSCO, $DVAX, $ECTE, $ETRM, $HTCH, $IMMU, $LFVN, $LIOX, $LYV, $MACK, $ONP, $OPK, $OTIV, $OPTT, $PRAN, $PRTS, $CLF, $STXS, $TRQ, $ZHNE,$NVGN, $BSPM, $ELY, $QLGC, $COCO, $ADEP, $ITI, $LRAD, $NCS, $CECO $MLNK

Morning movers and other stocks on watch

$PBR gettin a little jiggy pre market, $OGXI pr, $NVGN jiggy pre market, $ANAC pr  , $KNDI pr ,  

Seeking Alpha
Today's Markets:
In Asia, Japan +2.2% to 14396. Hong Kong +0.5% to 22807. China flat at 2134. India -0.4% at 20595.
In Europe, at midday, London +0.1%. Paris -0.3%. Frankfurt +0.1%.
Futures at 6:20: Dow +0.2%. S&P +0.25%. Nasdaq +0.4%. Crude+0.05% to $97.90. Gold flat at $1352.70.
Ten-year Treasury Yield +1 bps at 2.5%.
Notable earnings before today's open: ARLPAWIBIIBBKWBOH,BWPCNACYOUEDR,
 EWKEXLMCYMRKROPSOHUSTNGTEN
Notable earnings after today's close: AAPLACGLAGNCAMKRARE,CGNXCMPCRDATADENNECOL,
 ECOMEXRFMCGGPHIGHLF,HLITHLSIDTIJLLMACMASNCLHNEU,NTRI,
 OIIOLNPCLPEI,PMCSPREPSMIRBCRGARVBDSANMSTXTXRH
Good luck trading today !!

No comments:

Post a Comment